- Online Learning FAQ
- Accounts and Passwords
- Cable TV
- Cellphones and Mobile Devices
- Computer Labs, Kiosks & Printing
- Document Management
- Google Workspace
- Internet Access & Networking
- IT Security
- Purchase Request
- Technology Classrooms
Slow Internet / Low Bandwidth Issues
Bandwidth from home Internet Service Providers is quite often limited to one provider. Many providers offer plans with different bandwidth speeds. It is always recommended subscribing to the fastest speed offered by your provider.
Quite often providers do not guarantee the minimum connection speed. Service plans are normally based upon the maximum speed available. You can test your Internet speed by using a speed test site like: https://fast.com/ . After testing your speed, compare it to your plan and then contact the support team to see if they are able to test your home connection at no cost.
Here are tips that might help improve performance:
- Limit the use of streaming services on other devices while participating in online classes and meetings
- Turn off your Video unless you absolutely need everyone to see you. Video uses for more bandwidth than audio and is much less important to most meetings
- Use the voice dial-in number included with every Zoom call. This way your audio uses the phone network and not the Internet which may improve your experience.
- If you are on Wi-Fi, try moving closer to the wireless access point or router in your home and see if the bandwidth improves
- Use Ethernet cable to connect to your router/modem
- If it is safe for you to come to your office and transmit from there in isolation, that should also resolve the issue